Sunday, May 5, 2019

The magic box

Day tripping in Beaufort

First things first,. I needed to learn how to pronounce the name of the town. The one is South Carolina is pronounced Byoo ferd. The one in North Carolina is pronounced Bow ferd.

I spent the day in Byoo ferd, with my friend Larry. Larry is a professional photographer, a walking history book, all around genius, and very patient fellow. He showed no indication that he thought my love of graveyards is in any way weird . As a matter of fact, he took me to a couple of them, explained their significance, and didn't look at all look bored while I took dozens of pictures. (Perhaps I should add "accomplished actor" to his list of good qualities.)

Church of Prince William's Parish
Speaking of pictures, a normal person would be intimidated taking her amateur photos in the presence of a professional. But my love of taking pictures outweighed any self-consciousness, except that one time I forgot to take off the lens cap. Hoping he didn't notice.

Our first stop was on the way into town. Located in Yemassee, are the ruins referred to as Sheldon. Built 1745. Burned by the British 1779. Rebuilt 1826. Burned by the Federal Army 1865. Finally gave up hope in 1937 and The Colonial Dames of America erected a plaque.


We could hear the thunder roaring closer and closer as we wandered the grounds.


And because one graveyard is never enough, we then ventured on to Beaufort proper and the grounds of St. Helena's Church. The Christian faithful have been worshipping on this site since 1712. 

In a world where nothing is straight.
We dodged rain drops and ventured inside the church, where we were treated to an insightful lecture from the docent. This parish has survived the Yemassee War and the Union occupation when it was converted to a hospital. Some say that stone slabs from the graveyard were used as makeshift operating tables to treat the soldiers injured in battle.

The Big Chill was filmed here. The constant breeze blows the Spanish moss in a languid wave.
I love looking through the lens of my new real camera. The colors are so vivid, and the detail is exquisite. Everything appears magical in the viewfinder. As a matter of fact the entire day was magical. On every street we wandered down in Beaufort, we were accompanied by music. Piano sonatas wafted from school halls, jazz filtered through apartment windows, and a live band was playing along the waterfront. It is as if our visit had been scored specifically for each scene change.


Who can resist the lure of a used book store? We walked in the door and breathed deeply the distinctive smell of well-turned pages and worn bindings.








Once home, I got to enjoy the trip all over again as I downloaded and reviewed the day's photos. Then I came across this picture, one of the last I took. For those of you who believe in that sort of thing, that is most definitely an orb, hovering just over the fence. Beaufort is definitely a place full of magical moments and mystical things. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think. I love hearing from you.