Saturday, January 26, 2019

The other Charleston

Charleston has been my home for four years now. I will never tire of exploring streets and neighborhoods and love playing tour guide when my friends come to town.

Saturday mornings are for aimless wandering down dead end streets and occasionally past the No Trespassing signs.



Ooh! Events, I can't make a U-turn in your parking lot without taking a picture of that 3D wall of yours.



Spanish moss adds to the macabre facade of abandoned Marine barracks on Truxtun Avenue. Even in the bright sunlight, this place is forbidding. 



Seriously, don't they look like The Minions mingling at a cocktail party?



Today's trip was a reminder of my childhood. Charleston, much like Baltimore, where I grew up, is a port city. My parents were both photographers, and in fact met in a darkroom. My father worked in the shipping industry when I was a teenager and used to drive me to the docks to take pictures on Sundays. This morning, I kept driving until I found my way to the water.



 
A wind turbine blade looks like a beautiful sea creature, resting on the beach.



The Clemson University Restoration Institute is located in North Charleston.





The Power House used to provide steam power to the Charleston Navy Ship Yard. It now sits empty, and happily there are no plans to tear down this neoclassic beauty.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think. I love hearing from you.